Tuesday 28 July 2015

Scott Snowdonia Trail Marathon 2015 - Event Review

Hi
as I have now recovered my ability to think this is my review of the first Scott Snowdonia Trail Marathon.

The Race HQ was great it was in the Electric mountain visitor centre in LLanberis so nice to have a HQ with café facilities etc, it was open till 6pm on the day before the race too. On registering you got your bib number, a tech t-shirt and a High 5 trial pack, the HQ also had a good set up showing the route for the half and full marathon plus a stand from Scott the sponsor and one from Always Aim High the organiser.

On the day!

Race start was in the field next to the HQ, they also opened a hall as a bag drop which was handy, the weather was terrible so most people huddled in their prior to the race. At the start a safety briefing which repeated required kit list (full waterproofs) which caught a few people out, but in fairness to the organisers they had sent out an email confirming the kit list, a good reminder always read up on final race instruction email!

They also gave the option of those who had entered the full marathon switching to the half as conditions were to terrible, I think there must have been a few who did and a lot more who considered it( me one of them).




The Course

Brutal...truly brutal, first few miles a cheeky ascent, then at 4 miles the break for the full or half marathon. The full marathon course was really difficult lots of climbs, the terrain was hard going thanks to conditions either slippy rock or boggy mud, I had to stop and help out a guy who went over and I think broke his leg(it made a noise like a popping sound!) then get him a race marshal, then on I went.

the feed stations were plenty and well provided energy drinks/gels etc, there was a cut off at mile 20 if had not got there by 5:15, at the Pen-Y-Pass car park from the it was the Snowdon ascent.

The route was up the Pyg track in high wind and rain, with mist coming in at the top, I really struggled up this my legs had just gone by mile 20, and no strength for the climb. Once get over the top there, it was a stumble, jog down the tourist track then veered of back onto trails for few miles to the end and coffee and biscuits as well provided end feed station.

Conclusions

A great event, there was some debate over the actual distance as on pretty much everyone I spoke to their GPS had it as 29 miles.I would run it again but would like be fitter and better prepared, though in all fairness I would have been this time if not for injuries.

worth entering if you want a real challenge of an event, now to start thinking of my next event.....

thanks for reading.

Gareth (TheTryAth)

No comments:

Post a Comment